Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Law of Attraction is not Enough | Design Life

Hello and welcome to the DesignLife blog where we discuss Holistic Beauty, Personal Development and a little bit of Magic!

It's no secret that I believe in the Law of Attraction, but that's not really the right way of putting it. That's like saying "I believe in the Law of Gravity" (which makes it sound like some people don't, and we all know that that is ridiculous because whether or not someone believes in the Law of Gravity, it still exists and influences their lives). If you don't believe in Gravity or if you don't even know about it (e.g. babies), that doesn't mean you float around the surface of the Earth, no, whether or not you believe in or know of Gravity, it's true.

That's how the Law of Attraction works too. It's not some vague or ill-defined religious or spiritual belief, especially associated with The Secret by Rhonda Byrne (no offence, of course, I've watched it many times and I loved reading The Magic, too). I just have this feeling though that many people see it as some sort of airy-fairy new-agey mumbo-jumbo (no I don't talk like that in real life so I have no idea why I just wrote it), but in actual fact, as much as Gravity is natural law, so is Attraction. We live in an Attraction based Universe where when you put out specific vibrations, that is what is going to come back to you. The most perfect way I have ever heard this explained is like this: Think of it like a radio. Somehow magically (science can explain it, but I can't) when you set your radio to the right station it matches up with something that is being transmitted somewhere you have no idea about but then boom! Once you are on the right frequency you hear whatever is being played there in your car! Magic.

You work in a similar way. Many people say it's your thoughts that that attract similar thoughts into your life like, "think about your perfect lover and he/she will come into your life, because you attracted them by thinking of them". That's not true. Thoughts don't become things, you don't bring about what you think about.

I used to believe this. I used to be so obsessed with the Law of Attraction and thought I could change my life by thinking about the things I want. I pictured so many different things in my life and yet it never worked for me and OMG did I hate on myself for "screwing it up". I could see it working for other people, I knew it was Truth, and I hated myself for not being able to "do it right". Until quite recently I figured out I wasn't doing anything wrong. I just didn't understand the bigger picture. But finally I do. Follow with me carefully, thoughts don't become things. You don't bring about what you think about.

You bring about WHAT YOU FEEL about what you think about. 

So let's say there are two people from different places, Jason and Tamsyn. So Jason and Tamsyn are both thinking about money for something they want to buy (let's say they both want to go on holiday). Within a week of planning for this holiday Tamsyn wakes up one morning to find out a friend is returning some money they borrowed from her (so long ago she had forgotten about it). Later that same day she saves 50% on her movie ticket and popcorn because she's the 100th customer that day. A few days later someone offers her a ridiculous amount of money to act in a short commercial that she has the perfect look for. And so on and so on. Within a short period of time, she has accumulated enough money to go on a pretty extravagant holiday.

Jason, on the other hand, wakes up one morning and goes about his day as usual. He works really hard at his job and he's able to put a little away each month for his holiday, but sometimes unforeseen things come up and he has to dip into his savings... It takes him a whole year to save up enough money to go on a short holiday, but he did enjoy being able to take his well-deserved break.

Tamsyn and Jason were both thinking about what they wanted (money) so that they could go on a holiday. So WHY (whywhywhywhy I kept asking myself) did it come so EASY to Tamsyn, but not to  Jason, if they were both thinking of the same thing? 

Because of how they felt about money. When Tamsyn planned for the holiday and started budgeting she felt pretty good, because she knew that money comes easy to hear in all kinds of ways so when she thought about saving up for this holiday, she felt excited, because she knew it was going to happen soon and she was excited to see how the money is going to show up in her life. Jason, on the other hand, felt nervous, because he didn't know how he was going to be able to save money with all the other bills he has to pay each month... When he thought about saving money for his holiday, he felt worried. Do you see the difference?

The Law of Attraction is neutral, it doesn't hear you say NO I don't want that or YES I do want that. It responds to the vibrations (feelings) you emit when you think about that thing. So if you think about MONEY and you feel nervous you are going to get more of that, but if you think about MONEY and you feel really excited you are going to get more of that. You bring about what you feel about what you think about.

Of course, I might argue that it comes down to beliefs. Tamsyn believed money would come easy to her, so she feels good when she thinks about money, so money flows easily into her life experience. Jason believed that you had to work really hard for just enough money to get by, so he feels worried often when thinking about money, so money doesn't flow easily into his life experience. If you can change your beliefs about things in life (and beliefs are only practiced thoughts so of course they can be changed), then you can change the way you feel, which will change what you attract into your life experience which will change your whole life! Exciting stuff.

I used to be so obsessed with the Law of Attraction and getting it to work for me. But the thing is, the Law of Attraction is always working, and I was getting more of what I was feeling about the things I was thinking about. I was getting the change that I wanted, but it came about with a lot of difficulty and effort and it didn't feel good. So I got more of that.

I realized there has to be something missing. And that my friend, as I have discovered recently, is the most important Law. Or it should rather be called an Art. The Art of Allowing.













No comments:

Post a Comment